You are here : Home > Building/Zoning Information

Building/Zoning Information

To obtain building, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, land use,and  zoning information not included in this website, please contact:
Bill Henderson
 7110 West Q Avenue
 Kalamazoo, MI 49009
Phone: (269) 978-0715 or fax at (269) 375-0791 

To obtain land division information:
Ben Brousseau, Assessor
Phone: (269) 655-1144

* Bill and Ben will be at the Almena Township Hall on Wednesdays from 11:00 am to 12:00 pm.  No appointment is necessary

Applications may be picked up at Almena Township Hall.

After applications are complete and entered into the system, permits can be picked up at Almena Township Hall.

Plumbing permits are done by the State of Michigan (Andy Newman), and can be down loaded below or  available on line at,4601,7-154-35299_10575_17551-43095--,00.html .

zoning map

Zoning Ordinance



Land Division Application Fee  
See Application
Zoning Board of Appeals Application (Variance)
$350.00 per meeting
Construction Board of Appeals Application
$100.00 per meeting


Rezoning Request  $275.00 per meeting
PUD Application $275.00 per meeting
Site Plan Development (residential) $485.00 per application
(plus $2.00 per unit)
Site Plan (Recreational or other open space use) $485.00 per application
(plus $2.00 per unit)
Site Plan (Commercial) $485.00


Electrical See Application
Building Determined by Review
Mechanical See Application

Contact Bill Henderson for the above permit fees

Land Use Permits

Dwellings $25.00
Accessory Building $15.00
Garage $15.00
Additions $15.00

Construction work within the Township may require one or more permits.  Call Bill Henderson regarding the various permit requirements.

 Building Permit - Application

Checklist for Commercial Bldg App

Site Plan Review Application

Land Division Application


Electical Permit Application

Mechanical Permit Application

 Special Use Application

Zoning Variance Application

Contact the Building Department with any questions regarding whether a permit is required for your project. In general, permits or approvals are required for all the following project types:

Building Permits:

  • New construction of any building type
  • Addition to any building type
  • Interior remodel or change of use within a building
  • Conversion of porch, garage, or deck to living space
  • Placement of a manufactured home
  • Decks
  • Pools (above ground and in ground)
  • Garages, storage buildings, sheds
  • Basement finish or remodel
  • Demolition or relocation of any building
  • Re-roofing of any structure
  • Replacement windows 
  • Siding

Electrical Permits:

  • Installation or alteration of electrical equipment

Mechanical Permits:

  • Installation or alteration of mechanical equipment
  • Furnace, A/C, or water heater installation or replacement
  • Gas piping, duct work, exhaust fans/vents

Plumbing Permits:

  • Installation or alteration of plumbing equipment

Zoning Approvals:

  • Placement of sheds less than 200 square feet in floor area
  • Installation or construction of fences
  • Placement of agricultural buildings and structures
  • Home occupations
  • All signs (building permits also required)
  • Any other activity regulated by the Zoning Ordinance

Contact Information:
Almena Township
27625 CR 375
Paw Paw, MI  49079

(269) 668-6910
(269) 668-6913

Located between Paw Paw & Kalamazoo